Here is the SEO News Roundup for November 2014. I have compiled these news items from various sources and then covered them at our monthly event The Melbourne SEO Meetup. Here are the slides from the event.
Significant Algo Changes
Here I have listed what I think of as the most significant algo changes during the past 12 months. Just good to keep them in mind.
● Pirate 2.0 — October 21, 2014 DMCA/”Pirate” update.
● Penguin 3.0 — October 17, 2014 More than a year after update 2.1
● Panda 4.1 (#27) — September 23, 2014 Estimated the impact at 3-5% of queries affected
● Pigeon — July 24, 2014 Dramatically altered some local results.
Firefox moving to Yahoo in US
Firefox moving to Yahoo in US Firefox has a new 5 year agreement to give Yahoo the default search. Starting in December Firefox users will perform over 100 billion searches each year. Read more at SEO Book Firefox goes Yahoo
Is Penguin 3.0 rolling out still 6 weeks later? Thanksgiving day for some reason. But that shockwave did seem to be mostly reversals of sites that got hit initially by 3.0, which is why it was named it Penguin 3.1. Barry Schwartz Comments on Penguin 3.1
Google Maps Updates
Google Maps Updates and Changes including:
● Descriptors of any sort are NOT allowed
● Categories should be, more specific, NOT the overarching, general category
● Increased name and category consistency amongst multi location chains
● Two or more brands at the same location must pick one name
● If Different departments have their own page they must have unique categories
● Practitioner’s pages, in multi location practices should have their name only and not the name of the practice
● Solo Practitioners only can use the format of Practice: Practitioner Virtual Offices are NOT allowed unless staffed.
More detail from Barry Schwartz on Google Maps Updates
Yandex developing a browser
Yandex is currently developing a browser, perhaps to rival Chrome or Firefox?
The browser is already in Alpha mode, and you can download the Yandex browser here
Opinions are divided on the impact this new browser will provide, however one thing is certain and that is the browser will have immediate takeup by the existing audience of Yandex users.
Breadcrumbs added Knowledge Graph Carousel
A Breadcrumb navigation link has been added to the Knowledge Graph Carousel. As Google expands its Knowledge Graph across more of the SERPs, it is now giving preference to sites with a breadcrumb link in the Carousel. I am yet to figure how this link is factored.
Google Launches Mobile Friendly Test Tool
Google has Launched the Mobile Friendly Test Tool. This is set to become a favorite for those developig for mobile, just to get the big tick from Google on the mobile responsiveness. I am sure developers already have their own favorite tool, but lots of people like to get the big tick from the boss.
The Mozcast for November 2014 Algo fluctuations
Algaroo for November 2014 Algo fluctuations
If you have any news to report please message us through. Stay in touch untill next month.